Yes, I am a Black Mom who uses sunscreen. You should be using it to.

I've never been one to wear sunscreen. I was actually taught, or not really taught but followed the concept that black folk didn't need to wear it because we had enough pigment and melanin to protect us from the harmful rays of the sun. Well who would have thought that the things that we were told as children were not all true or even worst that things change over time! I know crazy right?!
In my older years as a mom I've researched some of those things I was told as a youngling and sunscreen was one of those things. With summer well in full swing and really almost out of here, I mean school will be back in session in about 4 weeks, sheesh, I think its relevant to visit the idea of using sunscreen daily or at the very least on those days we plan to be out in the sun for the majority of the day.
According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, sunscreens are products combining several ingredients that help prevent the sun's ultraviolet (UV) radiation from reaching the skin. Two types of ultraviolet radiation, UVA and UVB, damage the skin and increase your risk of skin cancer. Last time I checked skin cancer did not have a gender preference, ok! When choosing a sunscreen its important to check for the appropriate SPF – or Sun Protection Factor – it is a measure of a sunscreen's ability to prevent UVB from damaging the skin. The Skin Cancer Foundation does a great job at explaining SPF: If it takes 20 minutes for your unprotected skin to start turning red or to darken, using an SPF 15 sunscreen theoretically prevents reddening/darkening 15 times longer – about five hours. Most sunscreens with an SPF of 15 or higher do an excellent job of protecting against UVB. Using sunscreen with the appropriate measure of SPF can not only help lower your risk of skin cancer, it can also help to prevent facial brown spots and skin discolorations, and it also slows down the development of wrinkled, premature aging skin. Now we all know and have heard that "black don't crack" but why not help your skin to stay as youthful as possible with a little sunscreen.
I decided to purchase some sunscreen for my family since we've been frequent guests at our neighborhood pool this summer. I was able to snag a nice size bottle of Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus Sunscreen for just $5.99! (Its regular price is $14.00! WINNING)


Even though I was clear on the fact that sunscreen was being added to my day out regimen, I was not ready to pay an arm and a leg on a bottle just yet. This bottle and price was just right for me. It has a SPF measurement of 30 and it lasts up to 80 minutes while in the water, which was awesome with us using this mostly on our pool days. With that being said remember to check the time limits and/or restrictions on your sunscreen because you will need to reapply at some point of your long outings. Another thing I loved about this was its disappearing blue color and its light fresh scent. My boys enjoyed "coloring" themselves blue putting on their sunscreen.

Goes on blue!


The blue color disappears!
The blue color disappears and leaves a sheen to your skin, the scent is very light and did I forget to mention its a bug repellant as well! That was one of the main reasons I purchased this, besides it being a sunscreen of course. I am usually the one who gets devoured by the mosquitoes when I'm out but with this I did not get bit at all! Not one fly, gnat, mosquito attacked me and for me, that's saying something! I am sure to pack my bottle of Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus Sunscreen in my beach bag every time we travel to the pool now. For you own bottle of SSS sunscreen click the link above to snag yours from my e-Store, get it now while its on sale!


It is partially true that African Americans have melanin that protects us from the sun but it only provides protection at about SPF15 which is really not enough protection. We are still at risk of sun burns, skin cancer and potential skin damage. It is recommended that we use a sunscreen that has a SPF of at least 30 for better protection. As always consult your physician and/or dermatologist for more information about skin protection.

What misconceptions do you have about sunscreen? Do you wear it daily or on outings? Let me know I would love to hear from you!

XOXO,
Crowns Galore



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lets talk about sex baby!

My Marriage Rant....

My Sisterly Natural Hair Bond